Friday, July 13, 2007

sorry i´ve been so bad about writing...

so i am in the middle of moving from santa maria to maipu. i have been staying at a hostel in santiago by myself for the last few days trying to figure everything out and it has been hectic, which is an understatement. i got a text from dad today saying that he´s been checking and there´s been no blog, so here is a quick one.
i have to go to a meeting with the chilean ministy today and they are telling me the facts about my new school and new host fam. so far, all i know is that i am moving to maipu, and am living with a 24year old girl and her dad. next week is my week off, so 6 other volunteers and i are going to buenos aires via bus. the bus ride is 20 hours but they break it up with a trip to a really nice vineyard area in the andes called mendoza. so that should be awesome.
other than that, i´ve just been really busy packing my stuff and moving from santa maria into the hostel, then meeting with the chilean ministry to try and figure things out. i went into maipu for the weekend last weekend and was hanging out at jamal and gabe´s house and their host mom told me that there was no good reason for me to go back if i wasn´t happy. she helped me contact the chilean ministry people and talk to them and tell them i wasn´t going back. apparently it is almost impossible to move both schools and cities, but i didn´t leave them much choice because i packed all my stuff and got out of santa maria.
the director of my area, clayton, was a jerk about the whole thing and claimed that he hadn´t been receiving my emails of complaints. but i caled karina and belen, two women in charge and above clayton´s head, and they helped me immediately. i think they felt bad for me. i also met a couple other volunteers since i´ve been at the hostel that are here volunteering for 8 months and they seem to have similar problems with the ministry. this summer program is the pilot program for the 10 week program, so i am the person being used to help fix out the kinks. kind of lame for me, but i am glad that i have everything figured out and that i´m going to buenos aires for a week and then i´m moving to maipu.
i am sorry that i lagged on the blog but as u´ve read, it´s been a pretty hectic week. right now, i am in santiago staying at the hostel and hanging out with 5 of the volunteers because we all have a meeting this afternoon with the ministry. i am excited to have people to hang out with and believe me, i waited a while to write a blog because i didn´t want to worry anyone with any bad news. but no bad news as of now. i´m cold and it´s rainy, but i´m happy things have worked out.
okay time to go get some food...email me if u want and again, sorry if i worried anyone by lagging on the blog. i haven´t been able to get ahold of grandpa, so if someone could tell him to call my american cell, that´d be awesome.
chau
g

No comments: